CRZ Toyo Review- 4

The longer I own it, the more I realise that the Honda CR-Z fits my needs perfectly. Cars with a good ol' manual gearbox are hard enough to find in Malaysia, so a stick shift that's this slick is a rare opportunity. One with duty-exemption and more kit than a CR-V 2.0 too, so yours truly is glad he took it.

The dinky little coupe seats just two adults, which is enough for me in six out of seven days. It's not just space efficient, but frugal with fuel, too. My 'Trip B' that has never been reset since Day 1 (eight months ago) is reading 16.5 km/l now, which I believe is a pretty decent return for a manual, IMA Honda hybrid.

My recent target in the FC journey was 17 km/l over a week's driving, a marker I've been hitting occasionally. Unlike many CR-Z drivers, this one upshifts ASAP, coasts a lot, preserves momentum and uses ECON mode whenever conducive, such as on the highway, where my cruising speed is between 80 to 100 km/h. Sounds like torture, but it's second nature.

Then along came something to break my glass ceiling. We were offered a set of Toyo NanoEnergy 3 tyres to sample, and my humble ride was deemed the most suitable host car. Pretty obvious in a stable that includes two turbocharged Euro hatchbacks wearing 18-inch ultra high performance tyres, a Japanese rally special and one classic car.
Read more of this post